Monday, December 5, 2011

Insha'Allah "God willing"

The title of this blog is a common phrase with the Saudi people and they live strictly with this in mind.  Our family has experienced first hand having to live strictly by the will of God.  After our back to back job losses in 2009, and two years of unemployment, we lost nearly everything we owned including the ability to be a family.

By the time 2011 rolled around we had lost both of our vehicles and our home was being foreclosed on.  Finally, a job opened but it was unlike any other we had considered in the past.  This job would require my husband, Michael, to travel internationally... to Saudi Arabia!  As much as I hated the idea, I knew this was what needed to be pursued. Over the course of our two-year unemployment we turned in countless applications and resume's and nothing panned out for us until this opportunity arose.

"God willing" was our attitudes and we prayed so hard for employment to support our family with.  God was willing and this is what he provided so it was our job to go with it.
Michael left in April of 2011 to Khamis Mushayt (Mushait), Saudi Arabia and I stayed home with the kids.  This had been the longest seven months ever because of the kids acting out from their dad's absence.  This became quite severe and further guided me to the thought that we needed to be together no matter where we are at.  Our children are: Alexis who is 10 years-old, Jace 7, Collin 5, Jarryd 3 and Aivah 2.

On November 29, 2011, our family, together, boarded the plane taking us to our new home away from home.  I expected our compound to look like a prison but it was anything but.  I felt at home right away and have had no problems settling in.  My only bicker is that the food taste different than it does in the states.  For instance, I bought a cheese burger that about made me gag.  Our Coke does taste different but I actually like it better here.  As for the kids have had a hard time regulating their sleep schedule but other than that we seem to be trucking along.

All of our neighbors seem very nice and almost as though they form a family with all those around them.  We have ventured off of the compound and I had the chance to wear my abaya and hair cover and even that wasn't as bad as I anticipated it to be.  It will definitely take some getting use to but it is interesting nonetheless.

 HOLY CRUD!!!!  We are really doing this!!!  The "butterflies" in my stomach were fluttering so bad.  The kids just wanted to get on the plane.

 This is after SEVERAL hours of flying... They aren't near as excited anymore haha.  The best part about our flight across the Atlantic was that we flew on an air bus and it was comfy!

 Me and my biggest fan.  My little gal pal Alexis.

 This is a picture of the security wall that surrounds our compound.  There are many layers of barbwire and razor wire along the top of the fence.

Another shot of the fences surrounding the compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment