Monday, December 26, 2011

CHRISTmas Spirit in a Christ-less Country- Part Two

Just days away from Christmas and our family struggled to feel the same Christmas spirit that we've felt back in the States.  What was it that disturbed the joyful feeling of Christmas for our family?  Was it the lack of snow and cold weather?  Was it the lack of community in our country?  Perhaps it was the lack of holiday pizzaz found in all of the stores or lining the streets?  No Christmas music on the radio, no Red Cross bell ringers at store entrances.... Nothing.... It was just another week, just another day so to our family it was somewhat of a culture shock.  As we starved for the joyful feeling of Christmas we found that our spirits struggled with the lack of excitement.


We tucked in our children on the eve of Christmas and told them to sleep tight so Santa could work his magic.  Michael and I fell fast asleep and before we knew it we were being awaken at 4:30 AM by an excited 3-year-old saying, "There's presents under the tree!"  "Is Santa still here?"  "Should I get back in bed?"  I said, "Oh boy, I guess it is that time! Go wake your brothers and sisters!"

 Michael and I staggered into the living room to ensure crowd control.  The excitement was mostly for our kids and their happiness but still we struggled for that true peaceful feeling.

 AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!

Jarryd is the first reveal the prize!

 Aivah creeps closer and closer as she realizes who is handing out the gifts...

 Jace admiring his airbus.

 The kids loving their new toys!  Finally, they have something to play with!

 Collin looking possessed....

Jace also looking possessed....

The day played on and we had some errands to run.  What a weird feeling to have all of the stores up and running, not to mention totally busy streets ON CHRISTMAS!  We had heard from a friend of ours who's family was back in the Philippines and he was missing them badly.  With no dinner plans of our own I blurted out, "Join us for dinner tonight?  We'd LOVE to have you over!"  When he accepted our invitation my heart filled with joy!  So Michael and I stopped by the work of another friend of ours who's family is also out of the country and just as we were finishing up our conversation I again blurted out, "Please join us for dinner tonight?"  We'd love for you to join us!"  He smiled a smile I'll never forget as he accepted our invitation.

As it turned out there were dinner plans already with our neighbors that I hadn't known about at the time.  I scurried to make enough food, from what little we had, to feed as many people as I could but I worried how it would turn out since I was making it for the first time in a LONG time and with new ingredients never before used.  I was nervous but SO excited to have our friends who were missing the company of their own families.  This is when it hit me... I realized that the excitement I was feeling was that divine Christmas Spirit that I had been seeking.  It didn't come from the flashing lights, decorations, bell ringers, snow, Christmas music, or Santa Clauses running around the malls... It was the feeling that came with loving those around me, by inviting more people to share the holiday with us, by seeing the happiness on the faces of others.

Once the dinners were combined over at the neighbors house the joy spread even further as we all enjoyed each others company and good spirits.  What a blessed occasion it is to celebrate together, the divine birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these brethren, ye have done it unto me. ~ Matthew 25:40

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have called you and wished you a Merry Christmas yesterday! It sounds like it went well after all. I sure love you guys and am glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete