Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Weird Observations- An Easily Amused Expat

Since our arrival in Saudi Arabia, I quickly began noticing all of the new things around us.  Like a newborn baby, I've been taking in my new environment and have actually made some of it into a bit of a game for me and the kids.

First off, I noticed an extreme preference in the vehicles here...  No sooner than we left the airport I began seeing these cute, little, white, trucks with a flame-like pinstripe along the sides.  So needless to say my curiosity kicked in and I had to know the type of vehicle this country is so fond of.  I think of it this way, each country has its own flag, bird, flower, nickname..... Why not a designated vehicle :o)

What you are looking at is the Toyota Hilux.  While out of the house you can spot one of these very trucks at any given time.  The best part is... THEY ARE ALL THE SAME COLOR!

 A "loaded" vehicle in the States means all of the cool gadgets and gizmos you can add to make it even more spiffy.  As you can see the loaded Hilux here in Saudi Arabia has an entirely different meaning :o)

Anyone can see that Hilux has been here for quite some time... I dare say every generation of Hilux ever made is present in this country.  And YES, each year of this truck are still the classic white and bright pinstripes.  Hmmm, I think I almost want a Hilux for my very own!


Next, we move on to my grocery store observations...  Something tells me there will be a part 2 to this post!

FATEN FACIAL TISSUE- My face is fluffy enough so NO thank you!

 These paper towels should be just FINE (heehee)

 What kind of foil do you want?  Well, I think this aluminum foil should be OKAY (BAHAHA)

Who made this?  Well, YAMAMA did! 
(HAAAAA! I crack myself up!)

 Took a turn down the toy isle and this is what we are greeted by, YIKES!

 This is the first phone I had while being out here.  It is a Samsung, a name we all know and trust.  This particular phone came complete with a picture of Mecca, the holy city here in Saudi Arabia.

Finally, I feel that I must include my observation that I quite enjoyed while strolling through the hospital.  This is an announcement for Dr. FATEN Obeidat- Dietician.  Now that is pure awesomeness :o)

Stay tuned for more of my unique observations.  Thanks for reading, my friends!








6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Love the labels. When my husband and I traveled to China we saw the funniest signs everywhere and I wish I'd taken more pictures. I'm loving reading all your posts. What a great experience for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep those posts coming!! You are my eyes to a whole other culture!! I love your witty observations and all that you are doing. Yeah, and I love you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!
    My family is thinking of relocating there after Christmas. I was curious about the kids and how they would handle it, but your brood looks so happy!

    Were you able to transport a laptop to your Saudi home?
    I've heard that books, Bibles and CDs are not welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margo,

    Thanks for your reply! Where would your family be relocating from? The only reason we are hear is for my husband's work but it has brought many blessings with the experience. The kids are happy, we are blessed with easy to please children haha. Our older ones miss school but have adjusted nicely to the home schooling we are doing.
    I was able to bring my laptop with no problems going through customs. Religious materials of any sort (other than Islamic) are prohibited. However, we were lucky enough to get through with some. I can't really go into details on what because of my blog being public.
    CD's and DVD's we didn't try to bring along. All music was added to our iPod's and movies were put on our external hard drive and brought with us.
    Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have anymore questions! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mindi! I have actually tried contacting you thru facebook...if you read my message you will see how I came across your account being linked to KSA.
    But I cant wait to see if and when you check it, so I found THIS great blog!!
    My family and I are very likely relocating from the US to Khamis in a few months...and I have SOOOOO many questions!
    I have already learned a lot perusing your blog but wondered if I might email with you and learn even more?

    Hope things are well with you and your family! Look forward to hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin!

    I am so excited for you! I hope that Khamis will bring you and your family as many blessings as it did our family!
    I did receive your friend request but did not recognize the name so I didn't accept, sorry!!!! You mention another message about how you found this site, I did not receive another message :o( Please feel free to send the invite again and I would love to hear your families story!
    I have fallen off of the wagon hardcore with my blogging! I could kick myself in the butt! I will try to pick it back up soon!
    Thanks for your compliments and I look forward to talking with you soon!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete