Saturday, December 10, 2011

CHRISTmas Spirit in a Christ-less Country?

NOW WHO WUDDA THUNK IT!!!  A CHRISTmas party with Santa in Saudi Arabia!!!
It has been to my complete surprise to find not only Saint Nick in Saudi but also a lot more Christmas Spirit than I had expected.  Because you can't just go into any store and purchase Christmas decorations and so on I was totally floored when a friend of ours called to ask if we wanted a Christmas TREE!
As you can imagine there wasn't a wide selection of trees to chose from but just to have someone think of our family and them wanting us to have a tree brought that sweet Christmas spirit into our home.

When Michael brought in the battered box not much longer than a yard stick and no wider than a kids shoe box, I had to smile with the visual I had in my head.  I was excited to throw it together and start making things look a bit more what we'd have back home.  I put our little tree together and I am actually quite surprised as to what can be shoved in a box that small!!!  Our little "Charley Brown" Christmas tree is actually pretty cute for being rounded up in a Christ-less/Christmas-less country.

This came just in time to keep what little bit of Christmas excitement we had still from our most recent Christmas party.  It had a WONDERFUL drama to it about the Christmas story narrated by Santa himself.  I was so pleased to see the two main Christmas icons used together to convey the TRUE meaning of Christmas.

Afterwards, the kids were able to have their pictures taken with Santa.  I feared that being away from the US we wouldn't have a Santa for the kids to visit.  Aivah even made the visit with him official by giving him the "death glare" and screamed at him.  A Santa visit just isn't a Santa visit without a child getting upset to be in his presence haha.

I have been watching Christmas countdown posts on Facebook of our friends and family back home.  It is a completely new and WONDERFUL experience to have already had Christmas for ourselves,  I say this because now I am not caught up in the rush to get our own family Christmas to-do's completed and for the first time ever I am sitting back watching the joy and excitement of so many people all at once as they prepare to celebrate the beautiful holiday.  This has been a huge blessing and my heart is full for all those I love and care for back home.

 No, the elf isn't one of mine :o)

 What you don't see is Aivah in Threat-con level 4- Santa meltdown

 Good ol' Collin enjoying his grub!  No, I don't know the couple posing in the background hahahaha!

 Our friends sweet friends :o)

 Jace looking rather creepy and Jarryd with a knife... whoopsie!

 Singing ladies

 Singing lady with elf

 Aivah loudly protesting... 

 Ummm still protesting...

 Aivah done protesting... Kind of creepy haha

 I think he likes the food

 Jace pleased to have his picture taken

 Alexis not so pleased to have her picture taken

 Guess how many pictures it takes to get ONE decent picture hahahaha

 Yup, more than two time!

 More than three times!

  I got tired of counting so here is the end result... Finding out how many pictures are taken before you get one "good" one is much like counting the licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop... The world may never know.   :o)  
 ~I really do enjoy all of the photos in between as it shows the personality of my family~

1 comment:

  1. The couple posing behind the kids is Kevin and his wife Pam (she JUST got here) and the lady/elf duo is Bonnie and her son Calvin. I love the pics of the kids.. and ps.. UUUUUGGGHHHH!!! I look HORRID in the picture you posted!!!! =((

    ReplyDelete